In November, I must admit that instead of a lost weekend, I had a lost week after the Election…I couldn’t really concentrate when things were still so unsettled. And although they did tell us we would probably not know the winner on Election Night, it was still unnerving to go days without any real indication of a winner for such an important job as President!
It should have been routine in a year where everything has been tossed on its side by the Pandemic. The rules for everything we do and things we thought were routine are simply thrown out the window as our lives have been thrown into turmoil. It’s always a good time to remember to give thanks for what we do have. Our family and our love for each other can be our only remaining known factors in a year where anything and everything goes. Thanksgiving is the best time to remember that.
It reminds me a bit of the scene from the movie “Airplane” where Lloyd Bridges says something like, “Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!” That’s the way I felt about everything this year. Starting a business, changing jobs, and just trying to make plans for vacation or travel have become hugely complex issues.
The NANO month for writing a novel is so daunting to me. As a writer, I often find myself frozen in that mold where you just end up never finishing anything you start! And so, instead of writing an entire novel, I pledged just to complete one personal post for the month. It seemed a whole lot easier than the entire novel pledge…
I have included the five favorite things, which for me, is easy to do as there’s a lot of favorites I’m finding and it’s hard to whittle it down each month. Here’s the Five Favorites for November:
Five Favorite Things:
- Always there’s a dog involved with me! Those who know me can bet on that…The story that got me was on The Dodo- ( a great website, by the way). This one is about a dog named Gobi. This Scottish long-distance runner is running a race in the Gobi Desert in China and this little dog starts running with him every day. They bond and fall in love, and he decides to adopt the dog. But she must quarantine in China. So, Gobi runs away from her quarantine family and the Scotsman comes to China to find her… After days, he does find her again and stays with little Gobi four months in quarantine to take her back home with him! The final scene shows his long-suffering wife meeting them at the door, and the new life of Gobi begins. She is, of course, adorable and happy and very content….A real happy ending!
- The things that make me laugh over and over….The Bonanza You Tube song… Thanks to my best friend Lorna, for telling me years ago that Lorne Greene actually SANG the title song….No way! I said, Sure enough, there he is on YouTube…”Welcome to the Ponderosa, my friends!”..It’s hilarious and camp and a great pick-me-up.
- From my favorite influencer- Oprah, of course!- she has a post on Mantras...which are a big part of the Monday Mojo I send out every week. I like the fact that the easy way to concentrate is to use the Mantra, with meditation or just quiet periods in your day, to focus on the things that are most important to you and also to bring you back to the present. If you’re like me, you are always worrying about the future or the past, and the Mantra for the week has helped me to maintain the focus on the here and now!
- Food combo’s: From this month, where everything is Turkey, I have started writing a “Foodie” page “Just for Fun” as my Grandmother used to say. Turns out I’m picky about a lot of things, and turkey is boring, it really always needs a boost. The Cranberry Chutney makes it so good, and also, the sandwiches are better with cranberry! Needless to say, it’s not a conventional Thanksgiving for most of us! We had a quiet one in the backyard, and since it’s Florida, the weather was nice this time of year… A Link to my Cookbook: PC Cooks! is included here, with more recipes to come…
- Finally, Pinterest has become an obsession with me…Not that I didn’t always love looking at the adorable pictures of the royal family’s children, but there were so many things to look at, I could never focus on what Pinterest really does! It turns out there are so many great people just involved in business and different crafts that are eager to help, that love to create, and it has been a great place for some of my self-esteem business Pins! It is a very addictive platform for those of us who need to limit the exposure to about six or eight hours a day!