It is more than just an old-fashioned notion to believe in the power of Positive Planning. It can be called different things in the 21st Century, but the power behind positive planning and thinking is something that is a major force for good in our time.
Some research of past notions reveals that Dr Norman Vincent Peale, who wrote the original best-seller The Power of Positive Thinking, had not just randomly stumbled upon this quaint theory. He taught that the roots of success lie in the mind and you can teach yourself to not only believe in yourself, but to use the power of your mind to change your outlook, change your way of thinking and to transform your life by changing your attitude. Notice that the change he spoke of is something that comes from within us.
The Medical Connection
Even respected medical journals and clinics such as Johns-Hopkins agree that there is a real connection between your health and positive thinking. Those who have hope and think positively can make better health decisions. And taking steps to improve your outlook will reduce bad outcomes such as cardiovascular disease and other serious maladies.
Some of the research points to simple changes we all can make in our daily lives
Easy Steps to Positive Living
- Smiling & Laughter: Smile! Not a ‘fake’ smile, but smile and laugh when you find something funny on the Internet; or just short snippets of cartoons or funny shows.
- Turn the burn around: Instead of burning with anger about traffic or annoying drivers, flip the switch. Think: “Well, at least I have a car!” or “That person may be going through something really painful”. Turning on favorite songs and music can take your blood temperature down too…
- Taking Proactive steps to reduce stress: Have a plan of finding better ways to cope with stress. Have a ‘go-to’ or several people to talk to when you need to ‘vent.’
- Learning to ‘go with the flow’: Learn to ‘go with the flow’ when things change; acceptance of change is a big step in reducing your own stress levels.
- Have an Action Plan: Make a plan of action for stressful problems, and seek help from others. Ask for advice when you are working to develop a plan to tackle a challenging problem or situation in your life.
Five Strategies from an expert on Positive Thinking
There is some practical advice from the Life Coach Guru Tony Robbins who advises people with five different strategies to help adjust their attitudes and harness the power of positive thinking.
- Mindfulness of the moment: Take pride in the moment. Take pride in how you present yourself-to become more mindful of yourself. That includes your posture; and things that display nervous gestures. These are ways to express positivity through your own body and mindset.
- Plan for When things go wrong…Making lemonade: When things go wrong, take a minute and laugh at the situation and yourself. If it’s just a series of SNAFU’s: tell a friend, text loved ones, use the time to open your work up, or read. Adjust and make “to-do’ lists and tidy your purse or straighten out the wallet! Grab something that looks good to eat and try to enjoy yourself in the spontaneous aftermath of things that go wrong.
- Work to break your bad habits: Only you will know best which these are, which are most annoying to you and others. So flip the switch and turn the storyline on its head. For example, you are not always chronically late/ untidy/ a sloppy eater or dresser/ or someone with an obnoxious laugh…etc…if there is a habit there than you can break it. And better still- form NEW ones that you can live with and that will help you and others in the long run. Stopping to buy someone’s favorite drink or snack, doing something for a neighbor, working with others, tidying up on Saturdays….all of these are habits to add and things that will help you in the long run.
- Embrace the Cookie jar; Swearing and negative talk: The jar is for adding money when you swear or put others down. Feed the cookie jar and lose the habit of a lifetime. Expand your vocabulary and look up some fantastic obscure words to describe people and places-instead of immediately resorting to foul language and cursing! This is a habit and also some part of our own society that we can remedy if we try. Even the negative language can be put in your journal and flipped on its head when you start to recognize negativity in your own speech and flip the switch
- Finding a mentor and role model/ and becoming one: Having mentors and role models, and perhaps becoming a role model for others should be your goal. This is something that is developed over time. If you admire someone and would like to pattern some of their behavior, or even shadow them to understand their thoughts and motivations, it will help you to set goals and aspire to greatness and success in your own life.